Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wax Removal

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    There seems to be a universal preference for Dawn to remove wax.

What puzzles me is why people don`t use a product made to remove wax from cars rather than a product made to wash dishes? There are lots of them available.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, it doesn`t just remove wax. It also removes sealants that have been proven to be a little tougher. It is also the fastest way to do it. As long as you are only doing it once or twice a year then it isn`t going to do any damage to your paint. Sure there are other ways of doing it. There is definatly more than one way to skin a cat. If you want to spend the hour to do it the other way, then that is fine. There are a lot of people who prefer to do it that way. Lots of strokes for lots of folks. There`s nothing wrong with using Dawn and there`s nothing wrong with using a paint cleaner.
    Keeping Texas clean one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

It also removes sealants that have been proven to be a little tougher.

I always thought Dawn would not remove a sealant like Klasse SG. Am I wrong? :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by LowTech

I always thought Dawn would not remove a sealant like Klasse SG. Am I wrong? :nixweiss
    Not in my experience... :nixweiss

I look at it this way since I like to top my Klasse: Dawn to strip off waxes only, leaving the Klasse behind. Paint cleaner/cleanser to strip off everything and start over fresh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks ... That`s what I thought...:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, Klasse beads. After a Dawn wash I get zero beading. I clay after that and the reaction of the water on the car doesn`t change. My experience tells me that the clay didn`t remove anything that the Dawn didn`t remove that affects the beading on the car. :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting observation ... Although Dawn itself imparts a sheeting action so as to be spotless. Most dishwashing liquids sheet the water. Could this be a rival hypothesis as to why you see the sheeting?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmmm..... That`s an interesting thought. I never thought about that. I`ll have to dive in and so some searching and see what I can come up with to explain that one....

Post Thanks / Like
    So did you find that it sheeted, or just left a thin layer of water covering the car. By sheeting, I mean have the water drip off the car in sheets :doh . am I confused?

Post Thanks / Like
    The water clung to the car in some areas and sheeted off in others. It definatly wasn`t beading though.

Isn`t the diswashing detergent that advertises the whole "sheeting action" thing for automatic dishwashers? That wouldn`t apply for the hand washing detergents would it?

Post Thanks / Like
    To me, it sounds like the dawn stripped most of your Klasse off. Apparently, polished surfaces bead water as well. Maybe the areas where the water clung were slightly damaged. :nixweiss

Maybe we should start using automatic dishwashing detergent as an experiment. :scared (on our beaters, atleast...):p

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

Isn`t the diswashing detergent that advertises the whole "sheeting action" thing for automatic dishwashers? That wouldn`t apply for the hand washing detergents would it?

From personal observation, hand dishwashing detergents sheet also. Interesting question....

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, Guys – I’m kinda bumping this. We got a serious life-and-death issue:

1. Jngrbrdman has noticed a sheeting effect after a dawn wash on a car with Klasse and Carnauba topper.

2. Klasse beads, not sheets

3. The implication is that Dawn was removing the Klasse

4. I always thought dawn just removed the carnauba

5. I also observed that Dawn sheets when used on dishes.

6. My implication is that what Jngrbrdman observed is a effect of Dawn not being fully rinsed, rather than Klasse being removed by Dawn.

So … Have I been wrong all this time? Does Dawn really remove Klasse? This has major implications for a major life premise… :scared

Post Thanks / Like
    Even if it causes it to sheet, I`m still not (personally) convinced or concerned that Dawn is stripping the Klasse. Why? While researching products I had read several posts that had said that Klasse tends to sheet water more, unlike other products like Z which bead water like crazy. Also, while I was doing some glaze experimentation on my Klasse SG I had to use some (Ivory Ultra actually) on the paint to strip off the glaze so I could re-SG the area. Since I had the 1000W halogens shining on it already I decided to see if it had any effect. I found even the strong detergent solution (ie, the water was noticably tinted the colour of the soap) wasn`t doing anything to the Klasse. I could tell if the SG was being stripped off or not because I was watching for the re-appearance of swirls in the harsh lighting as part of my experiment. The glaze stripped the SG, Dawn didn`t.

That`s my story and I`m sticking to it! :p

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by CharlesW

There seems to be a universal preference for Dawn to remove wax.

What puzzles me is why people don`t use a product made to remove wax from cars rather than a product made to wash dishes? There are lots of them available.

Charles

I`ve often wondered the same thing. Why not just use a good paint cleanser and then there`d be absolutely no question as to whether or not the sealant was being removed. Plus you`d get the added prepping effect of a product that was actually intended to improve your paint`s appearance instead of neutralizing your paint`s plasticizers (shine/beading elements in your clear).

Would a true Autopian switch sealants/waxes without doing any other type of prep to their car than a Dawn wash? Definitely not this Autopian.

:::Edit: I`ve used Dawn twice ...once on each car...both had multiple coats of KSG. IMO, whether or not Dawn removes KSG is highly dependent on 2 things:

1. How concentrated of a solution you use.

2. How long you leave the solution on your car.

Dawn easily stripped KSG from my wife`s bimmer using a highly concentrated solution, but did NOT remove it from my Civic using a more diluted solution and rinsing immediately after washing.:::

:::Edit#2: I think the only time I would ever consider using Dawn again is if I`m in 4DSC`s situation of wanting to add a layer of KSG to a car that`s been topped with carnauba. I`m sure that a mild solution would do the trick!:::

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information