Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ouch my knees!!

Post Thanks / Like
    My car is low as **** to the ground and I find my knees getting murdered on the concerete in the garage. I was about to just run to the store and buy some hockey knee pads or something to wear under my sweats. Are there any good alternatives for use detailing freaks?

Post Thanks / Like
    Possibly a creeper seat...but the pads are a good idea as well...many detailers use them.

Post Thanks / Like
    i`d love to see a site online offer up something for us detailers. I know i could run to walmart and probably end up with something to wear though, but i`m sure if one of the online detailing sites offered them, they`d have sales.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just use creepers and creeper seats. With really low vehicles I jack `em up too. When I had the Mallett C5 I put it on jackstands every time I washed it.

Post Thanks / Like
    The knee and back saver -

http://www.properautocare.com/cocrse.html

Post Thanks / Like
    How about something like this....

Kneeling Pad

Post Thanks / Like
    Knee pads help a little but they put a strain on your back. They also won`t help if you you are kneeling in water.

I have a small, plastic stool made by Rubbermade that I have had about ten years that I love. It is perfect to sit on to wash/wax lower body panels and cleaning wheels and tires. I stand on it to reach the roof and windshield. It is one of my favorite tools. Because it is made of plastic it will never rust out or scratch my truck`s finish. It even hinges open to a storage compartment where I can store additional detailing stuff.

The Rubbermaid stool isn`t made anymore. They make a light weight one step stool that would probably work for sitting on but not standing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that pad that you drag along with you kinda sucks. I have problems enough lugging around the cleaning products i`m using let alone a pad that i have to lug along. I think a nice set of knee pads would own.

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have and use each of these. I have an adjustable rolling seat (from Harbor Freight), 2 Rubbermaid step stools (2-Step and Single Step), and several kneeling pads, I have also added knee pads, but they are fabric (canvas) covered and I don`t know how they will hold up for outdoor use. I`ve used the single step stool for wheels and tires for years now. One of the best "tools" I have. Helps the knees and the back. After this Summer, squatting and getting up off the kneeling pads has become a bit more difficult.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.racatac.com/

I got one of these as a gift. Very pricey @ around $189+ but does a heck of a job. Rough on sneakers, I wear an old pair and can just push/wheel myself around the entire car without getting up. Very ergonomic. I`m pushin ffff..fifity and it keeps me feelin young, less aches and pains after a day of detailing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a creeper seat, Or what also worked well were some chair cushions my wife was throwing out that she bought at walmart. Im not big in plaid and flowers, but it saves my knees. Also, A sheet of pink styrofoam insulation cut into 2 x 2 squares works good, its water proof, contours to your knees, after its shot, throw it out. Just some ideas.

Professional Detailer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh c`mon Eric. I thought you liked plaid and flowers? LOL!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a rolling seat and use it while waxing/polishing. I use it when I will be working on a part of the car for a while. i reccomend getting a pneumatic lifting one. Harbor freight sells cheap ones that will last 1-2 years for ~$20.

I also use http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00940639000

The work well, but you need to be careful not to accidently rub the paint.

I also have http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00947391000

I mainly use it to sit on. Works well since I have a bad back.

PS. Join the craftsman club (ask at the store). Its free and they have monthly add for 10% off all craftsman tools. I paid $18 for the knee pads and $6 for the kneeling pad.

Post Thanks / Like
    awesome. I think i`m giong to give the knee pads a try and see how that turns out. Thanks for all suggestions.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use a gel kneepad (Groit`s) and a grit-Guard bucket (with lid and roller dolly) cleaning supplies go into the bucket
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information