Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Talking PLEASE HELP WITH ORDER - Can`t wait ANYMORE - Taking the PLUNGE !!

Folks
    I`ve been lurking around here for months. Can`t wait anymore so taking the plunge. Here`s my shopping list. Please let me know if I am missing something /ordering more than required before I pull the plug later tonight:
    • Porter Cable 7424 Polisher Special (With 3 orange light cutting pads manufactured by Lake Country)
    • Orange Low Profile 5.5 Inch Pad 6 Pack: DA 5 Inch Flex Backing Plate
    • Dual-Action 6.5" Foam Pads: Dual Action 6.5" Yellow Cutting Pad
    • Dual-Action 6.5" Foam Pads: Dual Action 6.5" White Polishing Pad
    • Dual-Action 6.5" Foam Pads: Dual Action 6.5" Blue Finessing Pad
    • 303 Aerospace Protectant: 303 Aerospace Protectant 16 oz
    • Poorboy`s Spray & Wipe Waterless Wash
    • Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo & Conditioner 16 oz.
    • The Guzzler Waffle Weave by Cobra 16 x 24
    • Cobra Deluxe Combo Pack
    • Poorboy`s SSR1 Light Abrasive Swirl Remover 16 oz.
    • Poorboy`s SSR 2.5 Medium Super Swirl Remover 16 oz
    • Poorboy`s Natty`s Paste Wax

I have a 97 3.2 TL with moderate swirls and paint defects. I already have the following:
    - 2 buckets for the 2 bucket wash system
    - Sheepskin mitts
    - Meguiars Leather Lotion
    - Mothers Cleaner Wax
    - Meguiars Wheel Brush
    - Mothers Clay Bar
    - Meguairs QD
    - Black Magic Tire Dressing
    - Meguiars Scratch X

Here`s my intended process:

ONCE

- Wash the car with dawn (just once to get the previous wax off)
    - Clay the car
    - Wash the car (Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo)
    - Wipe down with The Guzzler Waffle Weave by Cobra
    - Poorboys SSR2.5
    - Clean with Poorboys S&W
    - Poorboy SSR1
    - Meguars Cleaner Wax
    - Poorboy`s Natty`s Paste Wax
    - Buff off using towels from the Cobra Deluxe Combo Pack

REPEAT THE FOLLOWING EVERY 2 MONTHS WITH WASH AND QD INBETWEEN:

- Wash the car (Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo)
    - Wipe down with The Guzzler Waffle Weave by Cobra
    - Meguars Cleaner Wax via PC
    - Poorboy`s Natty`s Paste Wax via PC
    - Buff off using towels from the Cobra Deluxe Combo Pack

TILL IT NEED POLISHING AGAIN

I am steering clear of sealants for now. I think the best use of sealants is layering. I don`t have a garage so layering is gonna be tuff. Also I am pretty regular (and ebjoy doing it) about waxing my car so I don`t need the durability of sealants. I hope to be waxing pretty regularly.

So please let me have your feedback on my process / or my order ASAP (for example - can I forego SSR2.5 and use Scratch X instead). I need to order this week to take advantage of free shipping on the PC / 20% off on the accessories...though it sucks since I am going to be paying shipping on the other stuff anyway. I wish I could get free shipping for everything !!(

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PLEASE HELP WITH ORDER - Can`t wait ANYMORE - Taking the PLUNGE !!

The order looks good, the only thing i did not see on the list was clay. Trust me this is a step you wil love. Also i noticed like 4 orange cutting pads.

With 3 orange light cutting pads manufactured by Lake Country)
    Orange Low Profile 5.5 Inch Pad 6 Pack: DA 5 Inch Flex Backing Plate
    i guees it wouldbe 6 + 3 so 9 orange cutting pads. Im not sure why you need that many light cutting pads. I think you could save some money and only go with 1 or 2 for now.
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

Post Thanks / Like

I think that you have a good process set up according to what you have written. I may want to go to the Natty`s after the SSR1 but it certainly would not hurt to go over the paint again with a paint cleaner. It is not a requisite to do so however.

With that said the rule of thumb is use the least aggressive product or pad to get the job done. ScratchX is a good product that works well. Yet, it is no where near as abbrassive as SSR2.5. It is a little more aggressivethan SSR1 at least according to this chart. Detailer`s Product Charts

IF you do the things that you have listed remember to go slow and check your work often.

I would also get a sealant to go with the Natty`s. But that is just me. It certainly is not necessary for Natty`s is a good product.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CalgaryDetail
    The order looks good, the only thing i did not see on the list was clay. Trust me this is a step you wil love. Also i noticed like 4 orange cutting pads.

With 3 orange light cutting pads manufactured by Lake Country)
    Orange Low Profile 5.5 Inch Pad 6 Pack: DA 5 Inch Flex Backing Plate
    i guees it wouldbe 6 + 3 so 9 orange cutting pads. Im not sure why you need that many light cutting pads. I think you could save some money and only go with 1 or 2 for now.

Calgary
    Thanks for your comments...and thanks for noticing the orange pad 6 pack. Surprisinly thats how the backing plate ends up in the shopping cart - as Orange Low Profile 5.5 Inch Pad 6 Pack: DA 5 Inch Flex Backing Plate I double checked sincy u`re right - 9 orange pads would be an overkill and realized that that was actually the backing plate.

I do have Mothers clay (listed in my list of pre-owned items) already hence am not buying anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gandblah
    Calgary
    Thanks for your comments...and thanks for noticing the orange pad 6 pack. Don`t know how that ended up in my lest. Have taken that off.

I do have Mothers clay (listed in my list of pre-owned items) already hence am not buying anymore.
    Sorry didnt notice that, Good call. Good luck with the detail and make sure to get lots of pictures for us
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cwcad
    I think that you have a good process set up according to what you have written. I may want to go to the Natty`s after the SSR1 but it certainly would not hurt to go over the paint again with a paint cleaner. It is not a requisite to do so however.

With that said the rule of thumb is use the least aggressive product or pad to get the job done. ScratchX is a good product that works well. Yet, it is no where near as abbrassive as SSR2.5. It is a little more aggressivethan SSR1 at least according to this chart. Detailer`s Product Charts

IF you do the things that you have listed remember to go slow and check your work often.

I would also get a sealant to go with the Natty`s. But that is just me. It certainly is not necessary for Natty`s is a good product.

CWCAD - Thanks for your reply. I do have a big bottle of the Meguiars cleaner wax that I got very cheap from Big Lots hence the decision to use it before Nattys and also playing towards the decision of not getting a sealant as yet.

And thanks for the link to the product comparison chart. Very helpful indeed.

Post Thanks / Like

I also don`t see a need for that many light cut pads, if you said polishing pads than thas a different story. I hardly use my light cut pad but you will find that you will use a polishing pad more often.

I don`t really see a need for the cleanerwax, but as Kirk pointed out it really couldn`t hurt. My personal prefference is either Propolish, AIO, or VM just before applying my LSP, but that`s me.

Good luck
    "J"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs95
    I also don`t see a need for that many light cut pads, if you said polishing pads than thas a different story. I hardly use my light cut pad but you will find that you will use a polishing pad more often.

I don`t really see a need for the cleanerwax, but as Kirk pointed out it really couldn`t hurt. My personal prefference is either Propolish, AIO, or VM just before applying my LSP, but that`s me.

Good luck
    "J"
    Thanks for your reply. The PC is right now coming with 3 bonus orange pads. Wonder why they couldn`t give different colored pads instead of 3 orange pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your reply. The PC is right now coming with 3 bonus orange pads. Wonder why they couldn`t give different colored pads instead of 3 orange pads.
    my guees.. and this is just me speaking not AG.. but my bet is they are over stocked on the orange pads and want to get rid of them. People like it becasue they get 3 pads so AG devoples good will and they like the goodwill and the cleance in self space
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

Post Thanks / Like

get a bunch of white pads because you acura paint *should* be soft.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the above posts. Lots of white pads, and lots of gray or blue pads (finishing/final finishing).

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good. I also agree on the pads selection sugested above. I`m new at this myself, and so far I`ve gotten good results using the white pad only. At least I have an idea what`s going to take. Before I adventure into a orange pad and a polishing compound (2.5-3.0 Cut), I will try/practice on my daily driver.

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would definately get more polishing pads as mentioned above. Also, I would recommend switching up your soap. I used to use Megs Gold Class Conditioner but after using NXT wash, I don`t think I`ll go back to the Gold Class. It`s a great lubricating wash and the price is hard to beat. I would also stop washing your car with Dawn. It`s formulated for the kitchen not your paint. Any leftover waxes will be taken off with the clay bar when done properly. I hope this helps.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot guys for the feedback:

Here are the changes that I made:

- Bumped up the qty of the white pads to 2. I`ll have 3 including the original one which comes with the PC.
    - Exchanged the Megs shampoo with Poorboys Slick and Suds
    - I won`t use Dawn to wash the car. Guess the claying and the polishing should remove all traces of previously applied wax.

The order`s been executed....will keep you guys posted....yehaaaaaaaaaa!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot guys for the feedback:

Here are the changes that I made:

- Bumped up the qty of the white pads to 2. I`ll have 3 including the original one which comes with the PC.
    - Exchanged the Megs shampoo with Poorboys Slick and Suds
    - I won`t use Dawn to wash the car. Guess the claying and the polishing should remove all traces of previously applied wax.

The order`s been executed....will keep you guys posted....yehaaaaaaaaaa!!
    looks good. I think you will enjoy your order. Keep us posted with pictures of your ride
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information