TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Rinseless wash compare-o (results!!)

Well, I finally did it!! I feel like I have (at least to my satisfaction) compared all three rinseless wash products on the market. Here`s what I found . . .

First . . . the test mule

Using as a waterless wash:

All the products with the exception of QEW claim that they can be mixed with water to create a waterless wash. A waterless wash for those not in the know is like a QD, but typically leaves less gloss and has more cleaning power.

For the purposes of my test 1.5 ounces of each product was put into a 24 oz. spray bottle and then topped off with distilled water. Between the test mule and my car, I had 6 door jambs to work with and plenty of glass.

The Optimum and DP products worked really well as a waterless wash. I didn`t feel the QEW worked quite as well because it took more effort to dry the QEW solution as compared to the other products which leaves open the possibility of streaking. The QEW was also noticeably less slippery than the other products. I didn`t experience any noticeable marring, waterspotting, or streaking with any product and all three had about the same cleaning power. The Optimum & DP also left more of a gloss & slick surface than the QEW.

Winner of waterless wash portion . . . DP 4-in-1 by the tiniest of margins over Optimum because I like the orange smell better than . . . well whatever that disgusting Optimum smell is.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rinseless wash compare-o (results!!)

Did find that the difference in all 3 rinseless wash were minimal.

The only way i was able to get a streak free wash with the QEW was to blot dry the panels otherwise the towel/mf would push the product around leaving long streaks of water behind. Do you think this was do to the sealants and wax on the painted surface..

Post Thanks / Like

Now onto the rinseless wash portion of our competition . . .

Four buckets were used for the rinseless wash comparison:

1. Rinse water w/ Grit Guard
    2. 1 oz. Optimum + 1 gallon water
    3. 1 oz. DP + 1 gallon water
    4. 1 oz. QEW + 1 gallon water

The car was first quickly power washed (I just bought the machine so I had to ) to remove the big stuff. Sheepskin & lambs wool mitts were used for washing and a Cobra Guzzler was used for drying. I tried to use each wash evenly. Particularly dirty areas were pre-sprayed with the corresponding waterless wash mix.

The results:

Here are my thoughts . . .

lubrication rankings:
    1. DP, 2. Optimum, 3. QEW

Slick finish rankings:
    1. Optimum, 2. QEW, 3. DP

Dirt release from mitt rankings:
    1. QEW, 2. DP, 3. Optimum

Ease of drying rankings:
    1 (tie) DP/Optimum, 3. QEW

Notes:
    The DP left more of a wet look and the QEW & Optimum left more of a reflective look.

For fun at the end I poured an equal part of the QEW wash mix into each of the other buckets. The combined QEW/DP solution was incredibly slick and left a fantastic finish. The combined QEW/Opt solution was not an improvement.

Winner of "no rinse" wash portion:
    By the slightest of margins I again prefer the DP product over the Optimum. Again the smell was a factor (man that Optimum reaks). However, the biggest issue for me was that while the Optimum left a slicker finish the DP provided more lubricity. IMO lubricity is more important when you`re dealing with a no rinse wash. While I experienced no marring with either product that may have been different had I not first power washed.

The real winner however is the combined DP/QEW mix. The lubricity and finish were unreal. Until I run out of QEW I`ll be mixing the two. After that I`ll just buy the DP.

There was so much to say in this review. So, I apologize if I was brief or cryptic in some parts. Please feel free to pose questions for further feedback on the products.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joe.p
    Did find that the difference in all 3 rinseless wash were minimal.

The only way i was able to get a streak free wash with the QEW was to blot dry the panels otherwise the towel/mf would push the product around leaving long streaks of water behind. Do you think this was do to the sealants and wax on the painted surface..
    I found this generally to be a problem with QEW. When I used it on door jambs which I know are unwaxed I had the same problem as I did in areas where I knew there was wax or sealant.

Oh in case anyone is wondering about the house that is being built in the background. It burned down a year ago January on the night of the Pats vs Steelers AFC championship game. Instead of watching the game in HD I ended up listening to the game on the radio of a police cruiser.

Also, trim was treated with PB`s TR, wheel wells with Griot`s Undercarriage spray, and wheels cleaned with Megs Wheel Brightener.

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice review! I like pics!

And very professional looking bottles too!
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for taking the time to post a review of these products. It was a very interesting read.

Is this your first foray into the rinseless wash products? I have all three but have only used QEW a few times. Which is only one wash over a few days on my truck.

Do these products leave behind anything that is protective in your opinion? Am wondering about bonding problems with some of those unmentionable boutique sealants...? In my experience, albeit very limited, it is something that I have considered a potential problem.

How did you determine the cleaning power vs. the lubricity?

Nice pictures with the review!!
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cwcad
    Is this your first foray into the rinseless wash products?
    Before today I had only used QEW. I`ve been using this product for about a year, but I`ve always mixed either a QD or S&W in the solution to provide added lubricity. So, I wasn`t 100% satisfied with the QEW.
    Do these products leave behind anything that is protective in your opinion? Am wondering about bonding problems with some of those unmentionable boutique sealants...? In my experience, albeit very limited, it is something that I have considered a potential problem.
    My hood was actually repainted recently (you may recall my spot buffs thread). So before undertaking this I emailed Optimum to see if their product was "safe for freshly sprayed paint." As their answer was "yes," I am assuming based on that these products leave little if anything behind.
    How did you determine the cleaning power vs. the lubricity?
    Both factors were more feel than anything. Cleaning power I based on how many times I had to go over the same spot/stain in order to remove it. Lubricity was based on how much of a gliding feel the mitt had going over the paint especially over dirty areas.

Very good questions!! BTW, if you like the pics here check out my other thread and see what the car looked like after I added a coat of Max Wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyc
    Before today I had only used QEW. I`ve been using this product for about a year, but I`ve always mixed either a QD or S&W in the solution to provide added lubricity. So, I wasn`t 100% satisfied with the QEW.

My hood was actually repainted recently (you may recall my spot buffs thread). So before undertaking this I emailed Optimum to see if their product was "safe for freshly sprayed paint." As their answer was "yes," I am assuming based on that these products leave little if anything behind.

Both factors were more feel than anything. Cleaning power I based on how many times I had to go over the same spot/stain in order to remove it. Lubricity was based on how much of a gliding feel the mitt had going over the paint especially over dirty areas.

Very good questions!! BTW, if you like the pics here check out my other thread and see what the car looked like after I added a coat of Max Wax.
    Asked and answered!!

thanks!
    cwcad

Post Thanks / Like

Asked and answered!!

thanks!
    What can I say . . . I have no job!

Post Thanks / Like

Me either
    cwcad

Post Thanks / Like

Me either
    Hopefully, I get a job soon so I can pay for all these rinseless washes.

Post Thanks / Like

Mikey -

One question about your tests. Do you feel that the QEW is as effective mixed in a bottle and sprayed on compared to using it in the buckets method I have read about before? I recently was given the opportunity to try some QEW, and after one use I like it. I used the buckets method with sheepskin mitts & MF towels to remove the water. Just curious as to your opinoin on it.

Nice review by the way.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for doing this review Mikey...I`ve been waiting for some of you DCers to put your DP to the test.
    www.autogeek.net - We Are Car Care!

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

My DP and Optimum Rinseless washes are on their way after a slight delay. I`m disappointed to read the comments regarding the smell factor of the Optimum product, yet happy that I chose the 128 oz. sized DP and only the 32 oz. sized Optimum

As far as mixing QEW in a spray bottle, I initially mixed a spray bottle to pre-rinse prior to the QEW wash (2 bucket). I also used PB`s S&W in the same manner. I also found that if the vehicle was any more dirty than what MikeyC`s photo showed, the vehicle would either get a traditional wash, or in cold weather, pre-washed at either a DYI wand wash or touchless tunnel wash prior to QEW. I can`t imagine doing a non-bucketless wash with any of these products based on my experience with QEW. But my bias regarding QEW has been stated before.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer
    One question about your tests. Do you feel that the QEW is as effective mixed in a bottle and sprayed on compared to using it in the buckets method I have read about before? I recently was given the opportunity to try some QEW, and after one use I like it. I used the buckets method with sheepskin mitts & MF towels to remove the water. Just curious as to your opinoin on it.
    As Mr. Clean stated, I would not recommend cleaning a dirty car with a spray bottle mix of waterless wash. IMO at least, a waterless wash is more for cars a little more than dusty. BTW, PB`s S&W provides much more slickness than any of the three products I tested as a waterless wash. The three products when used from a spray bottle provided a little more slickness than your average QD. I would use these products mixed in a spray bottle (and S&W for that matter) as a QD, clay lube, or for cleaning tight areas like door jambs.

For a dirty car I would use these products in the "no rinse" version (i.e. two bucket method). Normally during the winter when the car is particularly dirty I mix up some "no rinse" solution in a pesticide sprayer and pre-spray the car. If it`s ridiculously dirty then I bring it to a coin-op or touchless wash first.

QEW for me was a somewhat distant third in this test. The fact that it was more work to dry up the QEW solution was a real PITA. The conditions for washing yesterday were ideal for this test 55*F and slightly overcast. So, I really feel I got to see the best of what these products had to offer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt@Autogeek
    Thanks for doing this review Mikey...I`ve been waiting for some of you DCers to put your DP to the test.
    No problem Matt! IMO the DP product was the best. Aside from the awful, awful smell of the Optimum though it was a REALLY close competition.

Thread Information