Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Z435i Correction By The One And Only...Tuscarora Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Lil Detlr View Post
    Perfect weather for the owner of a brand new convertible!
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

A HUGE thank you to Dave for coming out yesterday and basically spending the enitre day teaching me about using different machines, pads, products, etc....! You`re great guy and I wish you all the best!

We concentrated on my Z`s hood and experimented with different PB`s SSR and pads. After a brief rest for some hotdogs (without Wasabi), Dave let me get a feel of using a DA. By the end of the day, Dave went over the entire hood again using his Flex and it looks GREAT!!! My only regret is not having Dave correct the roof and trunk as I wanted to practice on those once I get my supplies.

This morning I wanted to try EXP again, even though Dave generously gave me a bottle of PwS. Absoluetly beautiful!!! Really I should have just let Dave finish the other panels

Enjoy the pics!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007--MkV GTI (soon to be sold)
    2006--E90 330i*
    2005--E83 X3*
    2004--E83 X3*
    2003--E46 325Ci*
    *retired

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He makes it look easy doesn`t he
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Tampa, FL
    Post Thanks / Like

Looked like the weather cooperated perfectly too. There`s nothing like having a skilled guy like Dave show you hands on technique. I wish I had that years ago!

It`s actually a good idea to save the roof and rear deck lid as they are easy horizontal panels to apply some of the things you saw re: machine, pad, product, technique, arm speed, pad rotational speed, pressure etc. A lot of what Dave is very adept at came after a LOT of practice and lots of us just need more practice. It gets easier the more you do it.
    Tampa, FL

Post Thanks / Like

Some more pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2006--E90 330i*
    2005--E83 X3*
    2004--E83 X3*
    2003--E46 325Ci*
    *retired

"Luck" Residue of design tuscarora dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, as Promised. Here is a write up with just a few pics.

First I would like to thank Kief for giving me the opportunity to come over and do what I love doing, detailing and teaching. I really need to take a minute to give Kief props for keeping such an immaculately clean vehicle. I have never showed up to do a job or to just give a hand to witness such a clean machine. So a to you Kief.

Here are a few pics I took shortly after I arrived.

As Kief stated above, we spent about 7 hours teaching, testing and learning. (I learn something on every job)

We covered a lot of ground in those 7 hours. We talked a lot about theory and also got a little shop time as well.

We talked about how a car is painted, man vs. robotics, the effect that gravity has on wet paint as the car is painted (the thickness of the paint on horizontal panels, vertical panels and of course the different edges.)

We talked about the differences and similarites of holograms, swirls and marring and how each are instilled in the car`s finish.

We covered the dynamics of polishing. What really is occuring during the polishing process, the leveling of the clear coat, the thickness or rather thinness of the clear coat and how many times a car can be polished using good technique vs. hacking the paint.

We discussed the importance of the 2 bucket wash method and using quality microfiber mitts and towels. We also discussed and possibly rationalized the use of the California Car Duster.

We talked about the differences between a chemical paint cleaner, a diminishing polish, a non-diminishing polish and a pad dependant polish. We also took a look at all in one polishes such as PB PWS or PWC.

Kief got to see, hold and feel the weight of the different machines and observe the different actions of the different types of polishing machines and pads. He also learned that a Rotary can de a dangerous tool in the hands of a novice and exactly why.

We talked about the heat, friction and fast cutting action that can get one in trouble while using a rotary. (even a pro) We looked at how the pad and abrasiveness of the polish reacts on flat surfaces vs. edges and how important it is to consider the direction of the rotation of the pad in relationship to certain sharp edges. I showed Kief how a pad can and will conform and situate itself into the gap between a door and a fender and cut through the paint on that edge.

Next we discussed how a $5 roll of painters tape is cheap insurance against very costly paint repairs which not only might still be seen, but can be the difference between the car`s status being in excellent or just good condition effecting resale value.

So here is what Kief was dealing with since delivery of this beautiful car from the dealership. It really is a shame that a dealership of a high end car such as BMW would find that delivery of a brand new car in this condition is acceptable.

I showed Kief the edges that he should be taping over until he gets the hang of polishing the car and we taped off a test section.

We started polishing the test section using the least aggressive method first (SSR1 on a finish pad using the G110V2) which yielded no results but for educational purposes we did it anyway.

We talked about stepping our way up the abrasive polish/pad ladder and how it would leave a resulting haze. So next we stepped up to SSR 2.5 and an orange pad and this was our results after many passes.

We then stepped back down the scale of abrasiveness to yield these results.

Then we had a look and discussion about the safety of a diminishing polish vs. the speed of a non diminishing product such as M105. By this time Kief had learned a lot and we wanted to wrap this session up so after Kief got to run a few passes with a few different pad and polish combos to see really how safe and tedious it can be to polish his own car, to show Kief how fast correction can be accomplished, I ran out the rest of the hood using M-105 on the Flex at speed 6 using an orange Poorboy`s World Variable Contact pad.

I followed that pass, again using the Flex at speed 6 with a white Poorboy`s World Variable Contact pad and SSR 2 breaking the polish down fully.

I finished up using PB PWS so Kief could see what kind of results can be had with such a nice product. Here are a few pics of the finished out hood.

Here is a shot of Kief comparing the difference between the finished out hood and the rest of the car.

To summarize this story,Kief was a wonderful and very focused student. He is a really nice guy with a passion for great looking cars. The reason Kief and I got together on this was so that he, or we could work out a process for a beginner that is safe but will yield the results that he desires and to eliminate the fears that he had in thinking about putting a machine to his car`s paint for the first time.

I have to say he did real well for his first time, he had a naturally correct arm speed and a perfect overlapping pattern. We decided that the PC with the Poorboy`s World SSR line (excluding SSR3) and an array of flat pads would be best for him to get started with and of course Natty`s blue.

I think that after our educational experience together, Kief will have a much better understanding of what he reads here at DC. I am sure that he will learn the best way to correct and maintain his BMW. I have encouraged him to read and study the threads here at DC and to feel free to call or PM me with any questions and to POST UP!!! We love pics here at DC Keif so post many questions and post many photos!!! Don`t be a stranger. TD

"Luck" Residue of design tuscarora dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to post up the 50/50 shot and the pic I took just before I left.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool !!!!!

We got another person for detail weekend (hint hint steve).

And I can say this now..... Black BMW !?!?!?!?! What were you thinking ?
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

1st off that is great looking car.

Dave nice work as usual.
    POLLEN is Evil

Tampa, FL
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G.T.Subie View Post

Dave nice work as usual.
    Plus it`s a twin turbo rocket sled!!! Good luck with it Kief.
    Tampa, FL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    And I can say this now..... Black BMW !?!?!?!?! What were you thinking ?
    Tell me about it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by G.T.Subie View Post
    Thanks G.T.Subie

Quote Originally Posted by Pander5 View Post
    Plus it`s a twin turbo rocket sled!!! Good luck with it Kief.
    It sure is! Thanks Pander5
    2006--E90 330i*
    2005--E83 X3*
    2004--E83 X3*
    2003--E46 325Ci*
    *retired

Post Thanks / Like

Saw your post at bimmerfest. Great job and congrats on the black beauty!
    2008 Z4 M Coupe (my baby!)
    2005 530i (wife`s DD)
    2003 Z4 (weekend convertible toy)
    1961 Ford Ranchero
    1973 Norton Commando

Sugar Land, TX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gokartmozart View Post
    Saw your post at bimmerfest. Great job and congrats on the black beauty!
    Thanks gokartmozart!

Thanks to Dave for writing up such a detailed report!
    2006--E90 330i*
    2005--E83 X3*
    2004--E83 X3*
    2003--E46 325Ci*
    *retired

Post Thanks / Like

-

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information