Post Thanks / Like

F250 Border Patrol Project

This is a project truck that Ive been working on during my spare time for 3 weeks. The truck only has 43,000 miles on it but most of them were obviously off-road miles. This is one of the hardest correction jobs Ive ever done, and it figures that my Griots polisher broke half way through the job. Glue from the Border Patrol stickers was everywhere, and some sort of stuff that was similar to felt was all over it as well. I ended up having 38 hours wrapped up in this truck, and it was an exterior only detail. Virgin Laquer Thinner and a handfull of plastic blades were used to remove the glue. All of the major chunks taken out of the paint were filled with touch up paint and sanded smooth during the wetsanding process. This was one of the only vehicals with damage so bad that I had to start off with 800 grit paper and work my way up to 1500.

After the glue was removed

Post Thanks / Like

Re: F250 Border Patrol Project

After days of wetsanding, it was buffed with 3M Perfect-It 2 and a wool pad on my rotary. The passenger side of the truck, roof, and hood were then polished with my Griots polisher and Car Brite Crystal Shine and a white LC CCS pad. The drivers side was done with the same product but on my rotary and a blue polishing pad. Auto Magic Strawberry Wet Wax was applied by hand, the frame and undercarriage undercoated with Penray rubberized undercoating, inner fenders painted with Duplicolor semigloss black, and everything dressed with Pro Premo. Needless to say Im exhausted and ready for a day off tomorrow

Thanks for looking

Post Thanks / Like

This a perfect case and point NOT to buy a used car from a dealer!!!! You just never know what they have been thru!!

Awesome job!!!! No one would ever know the background of that truck!!

Hope you made enough $$ on it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Premiere Auto View Post
    This a perfect case and point NOT to buy a used car from a dealer!!!! You just never know what they have been thru!!

Awesome job!!!! No one would ever know the background of that truck!!

Hope you made enough $$ on it!
    Thank you. Im not allowed to give out too much info on these trucks, but theres a ton of them and Im not even half way through them. Great job security for me. I will say that I`ll prob get chewed out over the bill on this one lol

Post Thanks / Like

I can`t imagine the amount of work that went into that project. Is the Griots polisher that crapped out the one you got recently?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    I can`t imagine the amount of work that went into that project. Is the Griots polisher that crapped out the one you got recently?
    YES he had a post about it.
    Only about 2 days and it blew up sprayed oil everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by black bart View Post
    YES he had a post about it.
    Only about 2 days and it blew up sprayed oil everywhere.
    Yep. Its replacement is on its way.

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously I missed that post. Makes me leery of my Griots polisher now. I hope the replacement is an improvement.......guess it would have to be, eh?

Post Thanks / Like

Mine bit it last year, too but it wasn`t a catastrophic failure. I think the switch was going out because the damn thing wouldn`t hold a set speed nor would it go all-out even with the switch at `6`. I`m thinking about getting a Porter Cable as a replacement.

Great work on that truck!! Looks brand new again!
    2010 Hyundai Santa Fe - Harbor Gray

Even sometimes I, in a moment of what could only be described as pure sanity, question the rationality of this obsession.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    Obviously I missed that post. Makes me leery of my Griots polisher now. I hope the replacement is an improvement.......guess it would have to be, eh?
    Haha it would have to be. Anything is better than nothing at all. Im just thankful that I still had the rotary to fall back on. If this had been my only machine I would have been screwed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OCDinPDX View Post
    Mine bit it last year, too but it wasn`t a catastrophic failure. I think the switch was going out because the damn thing wouldn`t hold a set speed nor would it go all-out even with the switch at `6`. I`m thinking about getting a Porter Cable as a replacement.

Great work on that truck!! Looks brand new again!
    Thank you My rotary has a similar prob. It will slowly keep gaining speed until its wide open. If Im working out a large area, I can start on 3 and within minutes be to 6 and not realize it. Sometimes it just jumps to 6 out of nowhere. Thats when it really get dangerous lol.

Post Thanks / Like

That dealer should give you a raise what you are doing is not detailing it is called restoration.

You took a vehicle that he could not have sold for 500 dollars and turned it into one that will now bring more than 7500
    He will not tell a perspective buyer where it came from.. They would never suspect it was so trashed by looking at it now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by black bart View Post
    That dealer should give you a raise what you are doing is not detailing it is called restoration.

You took a vehicle that he could not have sold for 500 dollars and turned it into one that will now bring more than 7500
    He will not tell a perspective buyer where it came from.. They would never suspect it was so trashed by looking at it now.
    Thanks Bart. Resto-Details are my thing for sure. The only prob with doing this kind of work is when I get a call for a "normal" car I have to constantly remind myself that I cant play so rough with them.

Thread Information