Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

My take on the newest Edge2000 DA Adapter… plus a first look at a new Prototype Pad!

I haven’t had the time to do much posting on DC this year, but I thought I’d take a few minutes to comment on some new additions to my detailing arsenal. I recently took advantage of Aaron Krause’s free offer to exchange older versions of his Edge2000 DA adapter for a new and improved version. I personally did not have any problems with my adapter, but it seemed silly to pass up such a good deal.

My new adapter arrived in a few days. To my delight, Aaron also sent along some prototype E2K DA pads. For those of you who have been on this board for a while, you may remember that I have been a fan of Edge’s durafoam material but always preferred the shape of Lake Country’s Curved Edge model. After nearly two years of nagging… er, I mean humble requests… Aaron has come up with a solution to my pad quandary.

Behold: an Edge2000 DA pad with beveled edges!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My take on the newest Edge2000 DA Adapter… plus a first look at a new Prototype

Let’s take a look at the replacement adapter. This revised design, with factory Loctite and a permanently attached retaining pin, is somewhat shorter than the previous version and much smaller than the original E2K DA assembly. The new version seems to be securely assembled. In use, vibration levels have been reduced to the point that it seems smoother than a comparably sized Velcro assembly. All in all, this represents a significant improvement. I would encourage all of you with older adapters to take advantage of the free exchange offer to trade up now!

See this thread for instructions regarding your exchange –
    Edge2000 DA adapter REPLACEMENT EXCHANGE OFFER

Here are some pics of the new adapter as well as comparison shots with the original version and a Velcro backing plate.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My take on the newest Edge2000 DA Adapter… plus a first look at a new Prototype

Now, let’s talk about the new prototype pad design. Aaron took some of the regular E2K DA pads and found a way to bevel the edges. This resulted in a flat polishing surface about 5” across plus a nicely contoured beveled area. Ideally the flat section should be about 6” across, but we are dealing with the real world cost constraints of a limited quantity prototype batch. If the pads were to go into production, Aaron knows that a slightly larger diameter (about 7” to 7.5” inches in total) would be a more useful size.

Here are some pics of the new pad plus some comparison shots with other pad designs. For reference purposes, the following pads are featured:
    Yellow = Prototype Edge2000 6” DA pad with beveled edge
    Smaller White = Lake Country 6” Variable Contact pad
    Green = Edge 6.5” Velcro backed DA pad
    Blue = Lake Country 7.5” Curved Edge pad
    Larger White = Edge2000 Rotary pad

Post Thanks / Like

In use, this prototype pad behaves much like a Lake Country Curved Edge pad. It is a very versatile design which allows for effective polishing of large flat areas plus a contoured section for easy navigation over bumps/curves and squeezing into tight areas (e.g. around mirror housings, along “A” pillars, etc.).

As I mentioned earlier, the new E2K assembly seems to have less vibration than a comparable Velcro backed assembly. This leads to less hand fatigue. For folks with carpal tunnel issues (like myself), this is an important feature. It is still yet to be determined whether a larger diameter E2K pad will exhibit this same lack of vibration. It is also undecided as to whether or not a beveled edge design will become a part of Dedication to Detail’s production line offerings. Aaron does not know if there is a viable market for such a product. I know that I certainly want this design. How about you?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Marj,
    Nice to see you posting again.
    Thank you for the very informative writeup

"J"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My take on the newest Edge2000 DA Adapter… plus a first look at a new Prototype Pad!

id buy the beveled design .. it would work well on my rotary in tight spots
    back in buisness baby

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My take on the newest Edge2000 DA Adapter… plus a first look at a new Prototype Pad!

I`ve been looking at the edge pads for a while now .it is appreciated that you took the time to give a full few of the pads on a PC. I have some Nice pads i recently received from AG (Thanks Again Jason). My next purchase will no doubt be Edge Pads.

Joe

Sorry but can you tell me if their is any vibrations when using the edge pads on a PC. How do you like the pads compared to a 6".5".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joe.p
    Sorry but can you tell me if their is any vibrations when using the edge pads on a PC. How do you like the pads compared to a 6".5".
    The new E2K adapter with the prototype beveled edge pad seems to have LESS vibration than the regular 6.5" Edge DA pad with a velcro backing plate. I would prefer the larger polishing surface of a 6.5" pad, but the new beveled edges are more important to me. What I really want is a 7" pad with a beveled edge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by awd330
    The new E2K adapter with the prototype beveled edge pad seems to have LESS vibration than the regular 6.5" Edge DA pad with a velcro backing plate. I would prefer the larger polishing surface of a 6.5" pad, but the new beveled edges are more important to me. What I really want is a 7" pad with a beveled edge.[/QUOTE]

I upgraded to 7".5" pad w/6" BP and 6" counter weight. although i have not had the chance to use the pads i can tell i`m gonna like the upgrade pads much better, but no doubt in the future i will purchase the Edge Pads.Thank You

Here are the Pads Jason upgraded for me.http://www.autogeek.net/curvededge.html

Post Thanks / Like

I upgraded to 7".5" pad w/6" BP and 6" counter weight. although i have not had the chance to use the pads i can tell i`m gonna like the upgrade pads much better, but no doubt in the future i will purchase the Edge Pads.Thank You

Here are the Pads Jason upgraded for me.http://www.autogeek.net/curvededge.html
    I also use 7.5" Lake Country pads with a 6" velcro backing plate and 6" counterweight. However, the LC model that I normally use is the regular Curved Edge model with the concave center. Although the concave center does help limit splatter, I would actually prefer to have the flatter surface described in your link. The prototype Edge pad does not have a concave center.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by awd330
    I also use 7.5" Lake Country pads with a 6" velcro backing plate and 6" counterweight. However, the LC model that I normally use is the regular Curved Edge model with the concave center. Although the concave center does help limit splatter, I would actually prefer to have the flatter surface described in your link. The prototype Edge pad does not have a concave center.
    After you have had some time to use the edge pads will you post the pro & cons of using the edge as to another brand. Not much in detail and only when you have the time.

Post Thanks / Like

After you have had some time to use the edge pads will you post the pro & cons of using the edge as to another brand. Not much in detail and only when you have the time.
    I have been using Edge pads off and on for a couple years. Here is one of the write ups I`ve done on the subject -
    Edge Pads vs LC Pads???

I know there are more posts out there. Search is your friend.

Post Thanks / Like

Aaron Krause of Dedication to Detail started another thread to gather feedback about these new prototype pads - Edge2000 6inch DA pads with EDGES??

If you want Edge Pads to produce a PC sized quick connect pad with beveled edges, speak up!

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent write up Marge!

I no longer use the edge system, but it does look like they`ve made several key improvements.

I have had the pleasure of dealing with Aaron, and he`s all about customer service. If you have a problem, he`s there to make things right.

p.s. A beveled edge pad is a good idea. I`d probably buy a few to compare against LC.

Post Thanks / Like

Someone pointed out that all of the attached images had disappeared from this thread. This is probably related to the migration from DC`s old .com site to the new .org site. Anyway, I`m reposting the images below.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information