Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Vinyl "conditioner" recommendation needed.

Can I get some product suggestions for an interior vinyl conditioner? I have a 23 year old classic vehicle with vinyl seats, door panels, dash pad, etc. The vinyl is in good shape and I have been using 303 Protectant on a regular basis. The complete interior is black and during the summer, the interior does get quite warm.

I`m worried (actually obsessed) that the either the dash or seats will get overly hard, brittle and crack. I`d like a product to penetrate and soften the old vinyl (if there is such a product) and then I would apply the 303 to protect the surface.

I`ve read many posts regarding cleaning and protecting vinyl, but can`t find much on actually apply some type of "conditioner". I do see many "leather conditioners", but I`m not sure if they would be recommended for vinyl.

I`m considering Leather Magic! Low Lustre Vinyl Conditioner, Poorboys World Natural Look Dressing , Meg`s Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner, Meg`s NXT Generationâ„¢ Tech Protect.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    JW-`73 El Camino SS - They`ll get my Elky when they pry it from my cold, dead hands! a73elkyss web site.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vinyl "conditioner" recommendation needed.

My preference is PB NL for surface protection, I`ve read here that 303 is a smiliar product

I have however been looking at Leatherique products for deep cleaning and protection on my leather...they have a product for vinyl that is for the same you might read up about them as well since yours is quite old
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip. I did find the Leatherique web site, but it seems to be mostly geared toward leather. Seems leather is quite the different story for proper conditioning and care than vinyl.

Maybe I`m reading to much into trying to "condition" vinyl. I`m kinda a noob at detailing, but like to learn and do things correctly to make things last.
    JW-`73 El Camino SS - They`ll get my Elky when they pry it from my cold, dead hands! a73elkyss web site.

Post Thanks / Like

There prestine cleaner is a condtioner as well that`s what I read on the site....I wold still stick to the PB NL
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by a73elkyss
    Thanks for the tip. I did find the Leatherique web site, but it seems to be mostly geared toward leather. Seems leather is quite the different story for proper conditioning and care than vinyl.

Maybe I`m reading to much into trying to "condition" vinyl. I`m kinda a noob at detailing, but like to learn and do things correctly to make things last.
    The product you currently use is as good as it gets for vinyl. 303 Is excellent.

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Like the other guys suggested, out of the products you mentioned I would go with the Poorboy`s Natural Look.

Personally though overall I prefer 303 Protectant. I have both and the Poorboys leaves a slightly shinier finish and I prefer a "no shine" finish. The Poorboys smells WAY better though.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an older car and used lexol for vinyl,PBs natural look,and i tried PBs leather stuff. It was odd to have vinyl seats and the car smell like leather..

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using the Meg`s Rubber Vinyl Cleaner Conditioner you have listed above and have tried many others and the Meg`s gives me the best result. It both cleans the vinyl very well and conditions it also. Also if you use a stiff bristle bursh it will really clean well.

Richard
    1997 Ford F150 4x4 Pacific Green w/HOK Kandy Green Flames
    2006 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like

I can`t help with your conditioner question, but living in the south I know all too well what the heat and sun can do to a black vinal dash and interior. I do everything I can to keep my car out of the sun as much as possible, but most importantly I use a reflective windshield shade to keep the sun off the dash. It takes about 10 seconds to put it up once you get used to it, and they also help to lower the temp in the car. I use mine every day summer or winter. Autogeek has them.

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

I have and use 3 of the products mentioned: 303, Meguiar`s #40, and PB`s NL. IMO, any of the three will do the job you want. Two things that I might mention about PB`s NL, 1) has the best scent of any of the three (if that matters) It is not long lasting but during initial application, I find it pleasant and 2) IIRC Steve initially worked on the development of this product with classic/antique (stored) vehicles in mind. He had biocides incorporated into the formula to inhibit mold and mildew issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Poorboys Trim Restorer -let it sit for 5-10 min. wipe... then apply Poorboys Natural Look. You will be a happy camper (apply it thin).

Post Thanks / Like

You may want to try Optimum protectant plus it`s similar to 303, or chemical guys extreme VRT protectant it`s a thick milky cream that conditions and protect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean
    I have and use 3 of the products mentioned: 303, Meguiar`s #40, and PB`s NL. IMO, any of the three will do the job you want. Two things that I might mention about PB`s NL, 1) has the best scent of any of the three (if that matters) It is not long lasting but during initial application, I find it pleasant and 2) IIRC Steve initially worked on the development of this product with classic/antique (stored) vehicles in mind. He had biocides incorporated into the formula to inhibit mold and mildew issues.
    Yes, good point and "the scent" does matter to me as I am mainly concerned with interior application. I have a vinyl roof also, but am not to concerned with the smell of that .

Thanks to everyone for their opinions and responses. I do appreciate it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean
    classic/antique (stored) vehicles in mind. He had biocides incorporated into the formula to inhibit mold and mildew issues.
    It would be nice to see a vinyl version that contain the same formula of the PBs Leather Stuff..

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joe.p
    It would be nice to see a vinyl version that contain the same formula of the PBs Leather Stuff..
    What do you think is missing from NL that is in Leather Stuff?

Steve had a post somewhere describing the differences between the two. If anything, perhaps the biocides are missing from Leather Stuff. At least I don`t recall seeing that component listed. I`m sure Steve can clarify.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information