Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What makes them worth it?

I have read about Paul Dalton introducing his new wax and it`s cost is £10,000 which is about $20,000 US
    and there are others like the Zymol vintage glaze, and the high end Swissvax.
    My question is what makes these waxes soooo expensive
    Don`t get me wrong I`m not looking to bash, more like looking to understand.

Is the durability or appearance that superior or is it more of a status thing where someone would say that my wax costs more than your Hyundai

"J"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What makes them worth it?

Oh and just to be clear I am not even talking about the waxes in the $100-$200 range even that I might understand.
    I talking about the ones that go into the thousands

Post Thanks / Like

I call it marketing Jay

Its the same difference with a woman that carries a Prada or Gucci purse costing upwards of 1000 bucks and the other woman carrying one from Wal Mart or Macys that costs a faction of that...they do the same thing...Quality of the materials can be better but 10 to 20 X?

These high priced waxes are nothing more than the " I have to have" crowd.

I can bet that the wax is pure this and that, the container is made from crystal whatever, you get refills for life, etc.....again marketing is all that is.

Lastly there are some that really think the more something costs the better it has to be..WRONG!

I for one would love to see a side by side of these high end waxes up against Nattys, P21S and waxes to the likes of those...The average person could not tell the difference.

Steps off soap box
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs02 View Post
    Is the durability or appearance that superior or is it more of a status thing where someone would say that my wax costs more than your Hyundai

"J"
    Personal opinion.
    To answer your questions in the order asked.
    No.
    Yes.

I have a friend that can`t understand why I don`t want a new car. (I`ve probably had 20) His comment, "Doesn`t the prestige of having a new car appeal to you?" Rather than have a discussion about it, I just answer "no".
    Hey, anyone can have a nice new car. All you have to do is be able to sign the contract.
    Having a nice old car takes some work.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

It seems like a popular trend for some people on detailing boards is just status. The more products and equipment they buy, the `better` they are, or atleast that`s what it seems to me. These expensive waxes and products are not worth it, to me atleast. If the MFG showed what the wax costs and it is reasonably close to the retail price then maybe I`d change my opinion. Until then I believe it is still a status and marketing thing and the MFGs are recieving a very large profit. But hey, if they can persuade people to buy them, I guess they deserve the profits. I know if I bought a $2500 wax I`d have to encourage myself to find anything that makes it better than other waxes just so I would feel like I didn`t waste my money.

It would be really interesting to send someone blind samples of waxes, have them apply and remove and get their opinions every few days and rate them in order. If they can distinguish the differences (the ones that don`t seem to show up on camera) then maybe these waxes are better quality, but still not worth it IMO. Maybe I just don`t like buying expensive things when inexpensive things work just fine for me...
    "Whether you think you can or think you can`t - you are right " -Henry Ford

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by budman3 View Post
    It seems like a popular trend for some people on detailing boards is just status. The more products and equipment they buy, the `better` they are
    Hey!! I resemble that remark!
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn`t mind hearing from those that have used the higher dollar ($100-$400) Swissvax and Zymol to get their impressions of them and why they chose to try them.

Post Thanks / Like

Funny how this topic came up now.
    Just the other day I stopped at a local body shop to visit with a good friend that works their.
    This guy is a awesome painter

WE was talking about some of the new products and he told me about this guy who has to have the best of everything
    He brought his car in too get a panel painted and he was telling him that he wanted it painted so it looked as good as it did and that he had a $1200.00 wax on it.

Chuck got a clean MF towel and put a dab of polish on the panel that was to be repaired and rubbed it some them buffed it off and he said you could see a round spot where he had put the polish on.

It was noticeably glossier and the owner exclaimed what the hell is that stuff.
    Chuck said NXT you can buy it at Wal-Mart for less than 15 Bucks

Post Thanks / Like

let me weigh in on this one. i`ve said it before and it`s probably been said by others, there`s not a whole lot of difference in al of these products, lookswise. i see some of the outstanding work done on cars by the pro`s here and they all look amazing, and they all use different products. i think, as has already been said ` that the mfg`s of these products have to make a living so yes it`s all in the marketing, all in getting you to beleive it`s better than xyz, well then they do deserve the mega profits. this thing we do , detailing is without a doubt, an addiction, not a bad one mind you, i can think of others that are much worse and can ruin your life and the people around you, if you have the money and feel the urge to spend it on a car wax that probably does`nt cost an inth of what they`re taking from you then by all means indulge yourself. sorry if i may have gotten off track, i to will step off the soapbox.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of it is what you want to spend your money on.
    I have a friend that wears a Rolex, another that wears a Seiko. I wear a $30 Timex.
    As far as timekeeping, none of the three have to be reset for anything other than standard/daylight savings time changes or battery replacements.
    They feel comfortable with what they spent, I feel comfortable with what I spent.
    End result, we are all happy.
    If you can afford it and it makes you happy, then do it.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everyone in the fact that its a marketing ploy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    A lot of it is what you want to spend your money on.
    I have a friend that wears a Rolex, another that wears a Seiko. I wear a $30 Timex.
    As far as timekeeping, none of the three have to be reset for anything other than standard/daylight savings time changes or battery replacements.
    They feel comfortable with what they spent, I feel comfortable with what I spent.
    End result, we are all happy.
    If you can afford it and it makes you happy, then do it.
    I can understand the difference in the pricing is those items, things that will contain precious metals and stones is one thing, there is only so much in the world at that is it. I can even understand paying premium for the $100-$300 waxes, due to purity of ingredients and higher carnuaba content. I am just lost but the price tag in the thousands. Does that mean if steve put Natty`s red in a Swarovski crystal box, he could command getting $800...(Don`t get any ideas Steve)

"J"

Post Thanks / Like

thats a though question, its a personal thing. It really is.. to me vintage was worth it becasye of the refills (which i take full advantage of as i paid for it). to some that may not be a dictating factor...

what else makes them that expensive? some will argue the look is better (now i dont want to get into a big argument, so if you have not tried it please do nto comment on this, i dont think its fair. I dont say collinte is crap becasuse its cheap, i have never treid it so ow do i know, also what looks better is a personal thing)

Also there is a prestige to them.. dont kid yourself we live in an image based society.. we buy big houses, fast cars, desginer lables, and now car wax... its like anything it has an image and presige to it... there are bragging rights

is it marketing? yeah ofcourse it is, but megs getting 20 for a wax is alos marketing, its just who and how they choose to market
    it

megs markets to the avg consumer. the person who dosent want to spend tons of money on wax.. zymol markets to the wealthy... its just a diffrent marketing plan, to compare them would be like comparing apples and oranegs
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs02 View Post
    I can understand the difference in the pricing is those items, things that will contain precious metals and stones is one thing, there is only so much in the world at that is it. I can even understand paying premium for the $100-$300 waxes, due to purity of ingredients and higher carnuaba content. I am just lost but the price tag in the thousands. Does that mean if steve put Natty`s red in a Swarovski crystal box, he could command getting $800...(Don`t get any ideas Steve)

"J"
    come on -- my kids need to go to college in 10 years
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CalgaryDetail View Post
    thats a though question, its a personal thing. It really is.. to me vintage was worth it becasye of the refills (which i take full advantage of as i paid for it). to some that may not be a dictating factor...

what else makes them that expensive? some will argue the look is better (now i dont want to get into a big argument, so if you have not tried it please do nto comment on this, i dont think its fair. I dont say collinte is crap becasuse its cheap, i have never treid it so ow do i know, also what looks better is a personal thing)

Also there is a prestige to them.. dont kid yourself we live in an image based society.. we buy big houses, fast cars, desginer lables, and now car wax... its like anything it has an image and presige to it... there are bragging rights

is it marketing? yeah ofcourse it is, but megs getting 20 for a wax is alos marketing, its just who and how they choose to market
    it

megs markets to the avg consumer. the person who dosent want to spend tons of money on wax.. zymol markets to the wealthy... its just a diffrent marketing plan, to compare them would be like comparing apples and oranegs
    Mike like I said I`m not looking to bash. I understand the extra cost even up to a few hundred. but the thousands are the ones that I really can`t understand.
    Even Paul`s £10,000 wax is used on his "mini-detail" which he charges £150-£225, so even at 40 applications a jar (and I think that would be alot), in theory he is loosing money

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information