Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Answering The Question With Experience

I posted this about a year or better ago...I`m going to post it again so that some of the newer members can read it.

When someone posts a thread about "Have you tried (insert company name) Wax" or "What do you think of (insert company name) tire product"

The next answer shouldn`t be, no but have you used blank wax or tire shine product.

Its not what the person is asking they are looking for opinions on a specific product that maybe they have or are looking to get.

I see other times that someone will post about how to get something off a car or out of a seat...Then someone posts...I have heard that the magic eraser will take that off...or everyone says to use Goo Gone....unless you have hands on experience with this product or process...making a suggestion to someone that might use it or try it, you run the risk that they might mess up their cars or a customers car

When I make a suggestion here I either have hands on experience or I post that I have read this will work but have not tried it myself.

Its just common courtesy to the person asking the question that we give back them the best advice that we can.

Thanks for letting me rant
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Answering The Question With Experience

Very well said. Post count means nothing. If it offers good advice or helps someone then it means something. Not that every one of my posts were on the mark so I take your thoughts into consideration for my future posts. Thanks for the reminder, we all need to take heed.

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Very good point. I always try to post about first hand experience, because I too think it`s where you are able to offer the most information from. On the other hand, I`ve been here for a few years now and feel that I`m able to offer advice on subjects that I`ve only read about. Reading multiple opinions, reviews and rants gives me a pretty good idea on what most people think about a certain product or process. I always try to state that I`m either going from my own experience or what others have posted though.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never said, "no but have you used blank wax or tire shine product," but have you ever used Blue Magic Metal Polish?
    Brenton Dickieson

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PEI Detail View Post
    I have never said, "no but have you used blank wax or tire shine product," but have you ever used Blue Magic Metal Polish?
    Nope.
    Never had any "Blue Magic Metal" around the house that needed to be polished.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Pull this one back to the top

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Appears that we have quite a few new members and I`m taking this one back to the top for them to read

Have a look at my first post in this thread

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

My opinion may vary slightly from others on this topic. I think it is absolutely appropriate to comment on the product in question. I also think it is appropriate to comment on similar products that have been tried by the same user in addition to the product in question.

Some of the most valuable information I think I receive is from someone I trust who has used both products and is offering a fair comparison. If I have confidence in the person responding to the question and they tell me that they have used the product I am looking at but found it to be better or worse than product X for the following reasons and I`ve used product X, they might be saving me money.

I don`t believe it is appropriate to start a 10 paragraph response on only product X instead of the product being considered but if you`ve used both I want to know how you thought they stack up. In the long run the only comparison that really matters is when I`ve used both products and done the evaluating but sometimes money factors in and that isn`t an option. A good recommendation offered in this light is appreciated.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the most valuable information I think I receive is from someone I trust who has used both products and is offering a fair comparison. If I have confidence in the person responding to the question and they tell me that they have used the product I am looking at but found it to be better or worse than product X for the following reasons and I`ve used product X, they might be saving me money.

I wholeheartedly agree......providing the response is from one you trust who has used multiple products and can compare fairly. That is not always the case here.....

An alternate product is always a good thing to know.....providing the information concerning same was qualified and well written.

I believe what Beemerboy is talking about would be like so:

Question: What do you guys think of product xyz? I`m considering buying it.

Answer: Never heard of it I use so & so.

That`s the "answer" that wastes bandwidth and hikes post counts for the kiddies. In addition, no purpose was served nor was the question answered.

Gearhead 1, you are correct but it boils down to who is answering and how well they are explaining it. Too many just post, well, just to post! I can think of many that help IMMENSELY and I`m grateful to them. I can also think of others (with high post counts) that contribute crap, nada, just adding to the bottom line so to speak.

And where do I consider myself? As one who tries to help where applicable but doesn`t give a hoot about post count or offering useless answers to questions I know nothing about. An exception (for all) is to comment on a striking detail that a fellow member is showing off.

Nuff said, I`ll shut up now but felt this needed to be addressed.

Post Thanks / Like

RT

Your right about what I mean...some are posting just to make a post...they are not answering the question at hand...or they are making assumptions about the product or process...I mainly see that with new members. That`s why I bumped this back to the top so they can read we are here to give the best advice. Hopefully based on experience

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll add this..not to just "post"..I`m on the receiving end of your comments at present as I am still new to detailing. I`m not one to give recommendations yet; Beemerboy: What you are saying is exactly what I look for when I post a question. I don`t want someone to give me the run-around. If I have a particluar issue I`m dealing with I don`t mind suggestions about a product as long as that individual can speak from first hand experience. There are several on this board who are excellent at achieving what I am looking for. Thanks for re-posting this topic.
    Gravity is a contributing factor in nearly 73 percent of all accidents involving falling objects. -Dave Barry

Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    Over the time I have been using the Detail Forum have found you to be one of the more knowledgeable and yet have a good sense of humor. Your post today is a very good point. Now, will someone help me I have read about a product called VAPOR WAX and its go along headlight restorer, has anyone tried this? It is expensive and I would like some input before buying. Thanks and Have a great day. mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prenderville View Post
    Hi
    Over the time I have been using the Detail Forum have found you to be one of the more knowledgeable and yet have a good sense of humor. Your post today is a very good point. Now, will someone help me I have read about a product called VAPOR WAX and its go along headlight restorer, has anyone tried this? It is expensive and I would like some input before buying. Thanks and Have a great day. mike
    Mike thanks I`ve not heard of this wax and doing a search nothing comes up to speak of....are you looking for something to restore your headlights?

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PEI Detail View Post
    Yes I have used Blue Magic Metal Polish
    I used it until I discovered Speedy Metal Polish and I have been using it since because it is better but also much more costly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    I posted this about a year or better ago...I`m going to post it again so that some of the newer members can read it.

When someone posts a thread about "Have you tried (insert company name) Wax" or "What do you think of (insert company name) tire product"

The next answer shouldn`t be, no but have you used blank wax or tire shine product.

Its not what the person is asking they are looking for opinions on a specific product that maybe they have or are looking to get.

I see other times that someone will post about how to get something off a car or out of a seat...Then someone posts...I have heard that the magic eraser will take that off...or everyone says to use Goo Gone....unless you have hands on experience with this product or process...making a suggestion to someone that might use it or try it, you run the risk that they might mess up their cars or a customers car

When I make a suggestion here I either have hands on experience or I post that I have read this will work but have not tried it myself.

Its just common courtesy to the person asking the question that we give back them the best advice that we can.

Thanks for letting me rant
    I think that I will bring this one back to the top, for some of our newer members

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information