Post Thanks / Like
    I have thinking about getting a enclosed cargo trailer - 6` x 12`. As most of you know I built my last trailer - pict attached. Here are some of my thoughts - any other suggestions.

1. Double doors on back with a side door.

2. Must have a vent and lighting

3. Thinking about two 125 gallon tanks mounted sideways over the axel - this way I can walk up the middle of the trailer.

4. The pressurewasher with hose on top mounted in rear

5. Generator and air compressor mounted in rear across from pressurewasher.

6. On both rear doors have spray bottles mounted and containers for brushes and etc. This way when you open the doors you have access to everything.

7. Front of trailer will have enclosed cabinets to hold towels and extra supplies.

8. Sides with shelves to hold tools - buffers, pads, and a small tool box

9. Portable cart - possibly one that folds so I can carry supplies when working with a customer for rear entry garage.

10. Storage for vaccum

These are the basics I am looking at installing, please list any suggestions.

Also if I do buy another trailer - mine will be for sale.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Those plans look good. Let me add two things.

With the tanks mounted sideways I suppose you mean where the water tank would be turned 90 degrees as compared to the one on your current trailer? The problem with that would be the water moving back and forth when you stop/go would kill your tranny.

Also, make sure the generator gets enough ventilation. One guy not too long ago had his Honda Gen in a van or trailer (can`t remember) and it wasn`t getting enough air and it burned out a whole bunch of electrical stuff. He just mounted a fan to blow air on it from close to the door and he never had a problem again.
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks and I know what you mean on the water sloshing. I have that problem now if my tanks gets half empty. Luckly, my truck has a heavy duty trans for towing. My plan for turning the tanks sideways is so I can run a line to connect them under the trailer thus making it seem like I have 200 gallons of water. Since I have never split a tank up like this before my only concern is that both water tanks drain to same level while being used.

As for the generator - I am not sure what you mean on using a fan to cool. I would only be using the generator with the trailer doors open. Unless you mean that since the generator needs some sort of cooling when shut down, because it is enclosed in the trailer.

Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like
    You might want to contact Jose of Superior Shine. What you are proposing sound similar to the set up inside his full sized van. It is very organized and very easy to get to everything.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by rlspringer

Thanks and I know what you mean on the water sloshing. I have that problem now if my tanks gets half empty. Luckly, my truck has a heavy duty trans for towing. My plan for turning the tanks sideways is so I can run a line to connect them under the trailer thus making it seem like I have 200 gallons of water. Since I have never split a tank up like this before my only concern is that both water tanks drain to same level while being used.

As for the generator - I am not sure what you mean on using a fan to cool. I would only be using the generator with the trailer doors open. Unless you mean that since the generator needs some sort of cooling when shut down, because it is enclosed in the trailer.

Thanks again

Unless you have a valve to shut the flow of water off from one tank, they`re going to drain in equal ammounts.

For the gen it is to cool it while in operation. I have only seen one guy say he had problems with having a gen mounted in a trailer. Most people seem to have pull out racks that pull out of the trailer so it`s actually sitting outside the door.
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the idea of a pull out for the generator. I am trying to figure out if I want seperate storage for the generator. I would have to buy a smaller generator for the storage area since mine is a 5500 watt and very big.

Thanks guys and I will pm Jose for a snap shot of the inside of his van.

Post Thanks / Like
    To avoid excessive water motion inside tanks you may use the techique used in oil tankers (vessels) to cargo displacement from board to starboard.

Just introduce some bulkheads inside your tanks. The water only will move inside this small section when slowing down the vehicle. To keep the same water level you may do a small hole at the bottom of bulkhead to permit comunication.

I hope it helps
    Enjoy life!! and your car

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a inclosed trailer 5x12 and I find it real easy to maneuver in the tight city streets then a 6 foot wide one. Also you would want a hitch and not your trucks bumper because /w a hitch that sticks out more you can turn a bigger turn radius.

On tanks there is spacial tanks that you can buy that has baffles to keep the water from moving.

I like inclosed trailers because then it rains and I don`t have to keep moving all the stuff to the grarge ever night and to keep it from being stolen.

Once I did haul 200 gals of water allot w/o the baffles inside and I had no problem but I had a big truck just make sure the tank is fasten down real good. I just used the tank once a week but the costumer finally got a water pipe to the location that saved him some money.

That`s what I have trouble /w is things in the trailer bounce round I just have to secure thing down more.

Also its better to get a trailer /w a torsion bar rather then spring leafs

Don`t forget a good lock for your trailer`s ball hitch a good tran cooler in front of your rad is good

Post Thanks / Like
    You can check my trailer out on my website.

www.flmotorsports.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Really nice setup ezd96. I also like your website - checkout mine and you may see something that reflects yours. I am in the process of updating a removing some things. Were did you get the diamondplate rack for your trailer doors - I like that! Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you like my setup. The diamond plate shelf came from a guy on ebay that sells them. About $75 bucks if I remember right. They are made for race teams to store oil and stuff. Its works great for the wax bottles and other stuff you have. Whats your web address?

Thread Information